0891-6325020

index > Special Reports > White hadas to you Grand Celebration on 50th Anniversary of Tibet Autonomous Region's Establishment > Tibet Archives

Heroic history of Tibet's Gyangze

By Source:China Tibet News 2015-10-13

On April 5, 1904, the British invaded Gyangze. The Tibetan army and civilian population rose to resist with ancient powder guns and stones, and Gyangze Zong Hill Castle became a fortified point for defense.

The British army cut off the water supply, forcing the Tibetans to fetch dirty water and, in the end, to drink their own urine.

The Tibetans persisted despite all difficulties. Unfortunately, the British blew up their ammunition depot. Having no way out, the Tibetans fought with swords, spears, cudgels, and whatever they could lay their hands on, but their position was captured after a three month fight.

Thereafter, Gyangze became widely known as a "heroic Town".

Located in the southern part of the Tibetan Autonomous Region, Gyangze County lies in the east of the Shigatse area, to the north o the Himalayas and on the upper reaches of the Nyang Qu River, a tributary of the Yarlung Zangbo River. It extends from Naiqenkangsang Mountain in the east to Bainang County in the west, Kangma County in the south, and Rengbo County and Shigatse City in the north.

It covers an area of 3,800 square km at an average elevation of 4,100 meters. Under its jurisdiction are 18 townships, one town, 157 administrative villages and three neighborhood committees, with a total population of 62,000.

The county government is sited in Gyangze Twon, covering 4.5 square km and with a population density of 2,400 people per square km. It was named a "National Historical and Cultural Town" by the State Council in 1996.

From there, it is 260 km to Lhasa in the east, while Gonggar Airport, the largest airport in Tibet, is 230 km away. Yadong, a small border town, is 215 km away in the south.

Travel News
Cultural News
Gallery